Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ride To The Midnight Sun, May 24, 2011

Well, hello folks. It is time for me to begin posting about my next motorcycle riding adventure for 2011.

I was not planning on making the ride to Alaska this year in order to "get my ducks in a row" for a ride next year, however, things have changed.

I received a call from John Thompson, a BMW GS Adventure rider here in Tallahassee, asking me if I wanted to ride with him to Alaska in June. John has to make a business trip to Kenai, AK. (near Anchorage) John stated that if I did not agree to ride with him, he would fly but if I wanted to, we would ride motorcycles to Alaska. I mulled it over for a day or two and decided that maybe this is the time and situation to make the trip.

I spent some time with John to discuss several aspects of the trip and one of the major pluses for me to go is that he wants to get there quickly...somewhat long ride days on the way up and another is he has friends in Kenai and Fairbanks that I will be able to stay with and greatly reduce my travel expenses.

It just seemed to me that this opportunity came at the right time, so we agreed to make the trip together.

Now that the decision has been made to go on the ride, I have been trying to organize everything on my end in preparation for the trip.

This is the beginning of the ride reports and hopefully I will be able to provide you an interesting travelog of our ride.

I have activated the SPOT GPS Locator that I received from my sons for Christmas so you will be able to see our riding progress daily on Google Maps. I have a link to the Spot Tracker webpage on this blog (on the right side of the page) so all you have to do is click on the link to see where we are and were we have been for the past 7 days.

Please try to connect to the SPOT Tracker website and let me know if you have problems so I can get it resolved before I leave town.

For now that is about it for the first post....more to come.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. I'll be following you, Mike! Did you get a copy of "The Milepost" yet?

    Are you stopping by the big ST1100/ST1300 gathering in Nelson, BC, 20-23 June (WeSTOC XVI)?

    Warm Regards, John

    John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
    Bettendorf, Iowa
    1991 ST1100, The Grey GhOOST

    ReplyDelete