Thursday, May 26, 2011

RTTMS May 26, 2011



Time for an update of my preparations for my ride to Alaska..

I received the handlebar mount for my SPOT Tracker and here is a picture of the device mounted on my bike. This will be my office for the next few weeks while on this adventure.
The items in the picture are my Garmin GPS located at top center. Below that is my motorcycle instrument panel. Below that is my XM Satellite Radio ( a must for long rides). The bright orange device on the right is the SPOT Tracker. On the left of the XM Radio is the temperature control for the heated grips on the motorcycle. Being warm is important. Located below the grip heater control is a electronic cruise control (I didn't get it in the picture...sorry).

I also received my new heated socks. They are powered by the motorcycle's electrical system so that while riding in cold weather....below about 45-50 degrees, my feet will be warm. I also have a heated vest, once again powered by the motorcycle's electrical system. Since it has been over 90 degrees here in Florida for the past few weeks, the heated stuff isn't needed but as we go North, we are likely to hit some much cooler weather. It is presently 37 degrees at Prudhoe Bay, which is my ultimate destination so warm clothing will be a must.

I also did some route planning using my Garmin GPS software today and created some alternate routes just in case the weather forces us to make some changes.

That is about it for today.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment