Monday, June 27, 2011

RTTMS June 24,2011 East Bound and Down

Got up to moderate temperatures and a little bit of clouds in Rapid City, SD. We loaded up our bikes, grabbed a quick "Continental Breakfast" before getting on the road.
Our plan is to ride east on I-90 to Sioux Falls and then Jeff will head south toward Missouri, Tennessee and home in Jacksonville, Florida. I plan to continue east toward Wisconsin and my brother's home in Milwaukee.

We were quickly east of town and heading toward Wall, the home of Wall Drugs, the home of a glass of water with ice......kinda of a sales gimmick. This place is very famous in this area as a tourist attraction.

The hills were low with some low hills that lead to the Badlands National Park. This is a very interesting geology area and worth a stop if you are in the area.

After passing this area, the wind started to make its presence felt on our right sides and we assumed a lean to the right riding posture. It wasn't too bad as the wind was steady and not gusty which is much less fun to ride in.

The low ridges with water and wind erosion soon gave way to low rounded hills covered with grasslands and cattle. This part of South Dakota is mostly grasslands and cattle country. Nice and green but windy none the less.

We crossed the Missouri River and noticed that the water level was very high and outside the normal river banks. I know the people in North Dakota are suffering a lot of flooding and this is part of the the situation.
After crossing the river, the sky started to cloud up to the south and I thought that we may get some rain as it was in the weather forecast but the rain never showed up. The wind wasn't too bad but we hoped it would disappear.

A picture of roadside artwork. Not sure what it is but there it is.

We arrived at Mitchell, SD., and stopped for lunch and fuel. A few more mile east, we hit I-29 and Jeff took the right turn to the South and toward home.
So long Jeff, have a safe and fun ride home. I have enjoyed your company on the ride.

I continued into Minnesota and found that the southern portion of the state has several wind farms for electric generation. Also, the terrain made a noticeable change to croplands and trees on the hills.
The road quickly crossed the state and I was at the Mississippi River crossing into Wisconsin at La Crosse. The river here as also high but not out of its banks like the Missouri was earlier in the day.
The neat, well kept dairy farms of Wisconsin quickly appeared along the highway as I continued to Milwaukee. I decided to go all of the way to my brother's house as the weather was clear and comfortable so down the road I rode.
As the darkness started to fall, I passed through Madison, the road construction picked up and I passed through several zones that slowed me down but soon I at Al and Judy's house.
Total miles driven today 844. Long day riding but had perfect weather and good traffic flow.

The end of the ride.
I am taking a couple of days off from updating the blog in order to spend some time with my family, do laundry and clean up my motorcycle, "Oh Baby".

I will update on Wednesday evening as I plan to leave Milwaukee for Florida on Wednesday morning.

I received a call from Jeff on Sunday that he was home safely in Jacksonville and had a safe ride. I was glad to hear from him and that all went well.

Done for today.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment