Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RTTMS June 29, 2011 Headin' South

Spent the past few days with family and friends in Milwaukee. It was a great time visiting with brother, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, nieces, nephew, grand niece, grand nephews and assorted other familiar folks.

It was nice to spend a couple of days of down time off the road but alas, Florida is calling me home.

I loaded up this morning, hugged my brother Al and his wife Judy, goodbye and off I went south toward Chicago and Florida. The traffic and road construction slowed my progress somewhat getting out of Milwaukee but soon I was making good time on I-94 south.

Progress was interrupted when I entered Illinois as the road is a toll road so I had to stop 7 times to pay tolls. The money is not the issue, it is the stopping and digging out the necessary $$$. I wish they had a universal toll pass that worked everywhere in the USA ....what a concept. Or they could just not charge motorcycles as they are very fuel efficient and do not damage the highway. Another amazing concept....

My Garmin GPS routed me west of Chicago and through southern Illinois instead of through Indiana, so I just took that route for a change. Not a bad ride and the difference in distance is just a few miles but it seemed faster.

Rail yard in south Chicago.
Much of the scenery is the same in Illinois and Indiana. Crops of corn for miles and miles. Flat miles and miles. I didn't take a lot of pictures since this is familiar views.
An interesting "Geodesic"Dome Home in the middle of corn fields.
A large cross on the side of the road.
In southern Illinois, I ended up stopping for road construction for about 30 minutes as the road was down to one lane and the worked blocked the bridge crossing to move equipment. Considering this was the biggest stoppage I have had, I cannot complain.

Bridge crossing in to Kentucky.
Kentucky corn fields.
And more corn.
I did get a slowdown in the southern part of Nashville, Tn., due to an accident in the northbound lane and people had to "rubberneck" the wreck. Glad it was not in our lane as the other side was totally stopped for 4 miles that I measured.

Got to the hotel in Columbia,TN., and checked in without incident. Rode 645 miles today in nice weather. The temperature got as high as 89 degrees while stopped but it was comfortable while riding.

Going to get up early and hit the road home in the morning to Tallahassee. It should be about 450 miles and therefor a shorter ride day. Should be hotter but shorter and I'll be home finally.

Thanks to Al and Judy and their family for a wonderful time while I was in Milwaukee.

More tomorrow.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment