Sunday, July 3, 2011

RTTMS July 3, 2011 Home Again, Home Again

Since I have taken a few days off from completing my Ride Blog, it is now time to bring this saga to a close.

First of all, I would like to thank those of you that have taken the time to travel along with me on this literary trip to the Land of the Midnight Sun. I have enjoyed making the daily ride reports and keeping track of the events of my trip. Also, several of you have commented about being part of the ride via the blog and spot locator. This has been my pleasure to do the ride and the blog.

Also, a thanks to my riding partners, John Thompson and Jeff Lipps. Hope to ride again with you.

I arose in Columbia, TN., and after breakfast, hit I-65 South at about 7:15 am. The temperature was a nice and cool 64 degrees but I knew that would not last long and it didn't.
I was quickly in Alabama after a 46 mile ride and the heat quickly made its' presence felt. I was soon in the 80s and the 90s by the time I got to Montgomery, Al. The traffic was a little more than I was used to but it flowed very well and I didn't have any slowdowns to speak of.

Morning fog on the highway.
Welcome station in Alabama has a rocket in the front yard.
Another large cross on the side of the highway.
At Montgomery, I exited the Interstate and headed down Highway 231 toward Dothan, Al. This is very familiar territory so I know where I could push the speed limit and where to be more cautious.

Hauling stuff on the highway.
Going through Dothan was hot as they were doing road repaving and the temps went up to 99 degrees while sitting at the traffic lights...I must have caught about 10 of them in a row. Nice slowdown on a hot day.

After escaping the city, the highway speed took the temperature down to 97 then finally 93 so it seemed as if it was cool. The corn fields were being watered and green as I passed by.

I quickly crossed into Florida to be greeted by a quick rain shower about a mile from home but it did cool things down to about 89 degrees. Getting colder all the time!!

I pulled into the driveway and stopped at the end of a long trip.

Riding miles for the day was 374.

Miles for the entire trip 11,219 miles, Daily riding average is 487 miles per riding day. Longest day was 844 miles. I was gone from June 2 until June 30th.

My son Scott, his girl friend Carrie Ann and grandson Christopher came up on Friday and have headed back home today. Had a wonderful weekend with them and now it is time to get back into the normal swing of things here in Tallahassee.

Scott helping with the yard work.
Carrie Ann riding the mower.

Christopher having fun with the camera. He actually took the pictures of Scott and Carrie Ann also.


My bike, my boots and helmet getting a well deserved rest in my shop.
Done for this trip.....wait until the next adventure....

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment